This web site covers all 120 cabins which are on lakes that are seaplane accessible. Of the 120 cabins listed 60 are accessible by trail. Look on the spread sheet before each section in the column marked access. (T=Trail, TH=Trail Hard, R=Road, F=Float Plane Only). There are about 120 other public cabins which are on trails or accessible by boat. The best source of this information is the maps listed under Maps and Charts Besides these two maps check out the link at http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/index.htm
Of the cabins covered in this website there are several great cabins you can walk into. Some require a boat ride.
· McDonald Lake, requires boat ride.
· Kegan Cove and Kegan Creek, requires boat ride.
· Kah Sheets, requires boat ride.
· Petersburg Lake, hard trail, requires boat ride.
· Redoubt Lake, requires boat ride.
· Salmon Lake Sitka, requires boat ride.
· Eagle Glacier
· Windfall Lake
· Peterson Lake.
· McKinley Lake
· Crescent Lake
· Crescent Saddle
· Juneau Lake
· Trout Lake
· Upper Russian
· China Poot, requires boat ride.
· All the Nancy lake cabins except 3.
· Lynx Lake 2 and 3.
· All the Fairbank area cabins.
The cabins accessible by float plane only give more privacy. The following charter services are recommended:
Ketchikan Taquan Air for Misty Fiords, Ketchikan, and Prince of Whales Island.
Kupreanof Flying Service for Petersburg and Wrangle.
Fly In Fish Inn for Sitka.
Ward Air for Juneau and Admiralty Island.
Cordova Air Service for Copper River Delta and Prince William Sound.
Alaska Air Taxi Services for Nancy lake area and Kenai Peninsula.
Island Air for Kodiak Island.