The good news is
there is not as many bugs in Alaska as you might expect. Most of the time they
are not an issue. You do have to be ready because if it gets buggy you have to
have the equipment. Most of the cabins are near the mountains along the
southeast and southern coast most of the bugs are in the flat wet lands. We
flew up the Yukon river one year and were glad we had our bug coats. We have come to the following conclusions:
- Bug spray for your clothes and body must be over 90
percent or more Deet or it will not work. Non Deet products are for bugs
- Full bug suits are hot and not required, we have them and
no longer take them unless we are going into the wet lands.
- Light colored clothes work much better than black or
- You must cover all of your body. We do that with a head
net, bug socks, and gloves. Pants and coats need a way to tighten around
gloves and socks.
Candles work to some degree, we use the ones from Coleman.
with bug repellent built in work for about a week, a little spray of Deet
- You can drink Crown Royal through a bug hood.
The spots on the black shirt are bugs, none on the light blue shirt.
Crown Royal through a bug coat.